Thursday, April 13, 2006

Mob Mentality

The very popular actor in the Kannada film industry, Dr. Rajkumar died yesterday (April 12th 2006)of caridac arrest. He was 78.

I was at office when I heard this news and was advised to leave office and get home as early as possible. The company even adivsed us not to venture out the next day and suggested that we work from home. I din't quite understand what could go wrong in the city if the most revered person died a natural death. But I was mistaken. I was on my way home when my friend called to tell me that a mob had shattered her windshield (both front and rear). How unreasonable and totally devoid of logic is that! I am just not able to fathom what goes on in these people's minds. I (for that matter most sane people I know) wouldn't think of doing something like that to someone I hate or dislike, let alone doing that to someone I don't even know.

Someone tried to explain 'fanatics....you don't know what goes on these people's minds'. But I am not convinced! These people are just having fun. They don't seem to be mourning. They are just out there doing things which they couldn't do on a normal day! Today as part of the state mourning, the only channels that are being aired are news channels. All I can see is chaos and confusion all around the city. People are looting petrol booths and are generally out there to create a racket. As soon as they realize that they are on TV, they wave frantically and whistle out! They certainly don't look like people who are sad about losing someone.

I guess all this is what they call 'mob mentality'! I am reminded of a certain episode in my favourite serial 'Friends'. Monica has taken upon herself to make candies and impress and befriend her neighbours. Her candies are so delicious, that neighbours gather outside her house impatienly waiting for the next batch of candies. After a while, they start shouting slogans etc. When Monica opens the door to pacify the group by telling them that the candies are just getting done, she realizes that the most vocal and violent in the group is dear old Joey! When Chandler asks him for an explanation he just says 'mob mentality'! If this is what it can do to a best friend, then I think it very well explains the situation in Bangalore today!

No comments: