Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Taking things for granted

"Most human beings have an infinite capacity for taking things for granted" - Aldous Huxley

I sang to myself today...while riding to work...KKs 'Tu hi meri shab hai'...Dido's 'White flag'...'Mississippi Girl' etc...etc. Rather, I had to sing to myself...as I was riding to work and not driving to work. I realized how much I have been taking my 5 year old car for granted...how much I am used to listening to music and how that cuts out the traffic noise! I don't have my car for a week...and everything seems to go haywire!How dependent I have become on things like this, which is a luxury for most people in this country. Like most human beings, I seem to have an infinite capacity for taking things for granted!

I had a scary thought after I read the news on Bausch and Lomb recalling MoistureLoc solution worldwide. I have been using this solution for a couple of months now. In some 'unique use patterns' this solution has caused blinding in some cases in the US! Huh! Just imagine, losing your eyesight overnight...it is something I have taken so much for granted!Sigh!Things like this make you stop and think about how much I can make out of life today...when I have the ability to do so. How I tend to lead a mediocre existence instead of making the most of each day. It inspires me to stop taking my existence for granted, stop being encumbered by everything happening around me and going off and doing something wonderful! (As Robert Noyce, a visionary and the first CEO of my company, would put it)

No comments: