Thursday, September 14, 2006

Marathon - 17th Sept 2006

I said "I wanna run the marathon. It is one of my little dreams and I want to put a tick mark against this item in my checklist of life"
Dippie said "Yes yes...go run. You are not mediocre"
Mommie said "Huh? Won't you be tired? Why are you doing this?"
Neeru said "Ya, you can do it once"
Chhavi said "Oh ya? That's cool, Arc and i wanted to do it together"
Pathak said "42kms? that's crazy. Boss..its a lot...infact even 21km is a lot" (I said "Don't act like my mommie")
Shrinidhi said "Good run the marathon. In the next 7 yrs I may also run one;) "

Others "Wow, how exciting!" "Are you sure" "Have you trained enough?" "Don't you have anything better to do?" "Hey, we will come and run the last 7km with you"

Amidst all this I started training...about 1.5 months back. After a week's training and figuring out where I stand and what I am really capable of, the Monica in me said 'Hey, you aren't going to win this. Don't run. What's the point running when you can't win'.
I said "Shut up. for the sake of my checklist, I am willing to be labeled an 'Also-ran'...cause this is no ordinary feat..it is the marathon"

And today, just 2 days before the marathon, there is no real data to prove I can make it. Infact everything is against the fact that I can make it. My feet hurts after I run 15km and my body begins to feel tired.

The-Monica-in me says "Hey...Ms Also Ran, don't tell me you aren't even going to be that."

The only hope I have is my mind...and my desire to make it. I hope it will push my body beyond its threshold. When my body wants to give up, I hope the Monica in me jumps out of my skin, puts me on a skating board tied around her waist..and zips away to the finish dragging my body along! :)

Lets see what I can blog (read 'brag') about on the 18th. (Am sure I will sleep through the 17th!)

After thought: Need I mention, that the Monica referred to here is the 'Friends' Monica?

1 comment:

Pranjal said...

This Monica is actually all your emotions and desires in crystalline form . She exists because of your innate urge to achieve more or something like that . Always be true to her :)